Monday, May 9, 2011

Juneau And Seattle, Here I Come!

It is again time for me to pack my suitcase. In a few days I will begin a trek to Juneau, Alaska and Seattle, Washington. I will visit Juneau first and then will spend time in Seattle. Of course, there are many more sites I'd like to visit in these two cities than I will have time for. But I will pack as much as I possibly can into a short time. And soon I will be in a rainforest. You read that correctly. There is rainforest in Alaska that includes tall stands of spruce, hemlock and cedar trees with a forest floor covered with mosses, wild flowers and many types of berries. Juneau is where the mountains meet the sea amid 17 million acres of Tongass National Forest and a 1,000-square-mile ice field. Also, did you know that you cannot drive to Juneau? You must access it by boat/ship or airplane. Seattle is south of Juneau in the state of Washington where you can find another rainforest--the Quinault Rainforest. Home to grunge music and known for its coffee, Seattle was the home of Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain. And, according to one site I read, it is the most educated city in the United States with the highest percentage of college graduates. Why do you think this is? What industries in Seattle require highly educated people? Hint: Think Bill Gates.

What comes to mind when you think of Juneau and Seattle? What do you already know about these two places? What do you *think* you know? Stay tuned to find out more ...

No comments: